We are a couple from Pittsburgh and Ecuador. We moved to Houston 5 years ago. I am a mental health professional that works with medically ill patients and my partner is an insurance coverage lawyer. He loves reading long contracts and insurance policies. We have amazing supportive families. My partner’s sister even volunteered to be our egg donor, and my sister lives only 30 minutes away and has wonderful kids of her own. It has been quite a journey trying to find that special person to help us build our family. But we know she is out there! We are looking for a surrogate who is excited to help a gay couple create a family. We would love someone who finds joy raising her own kids and wants to give us the opportunity to have that experience.
I like to play piano and play video games. My partner likes to read and do crossword puzzles. We also like to cook together, make ice cream from scratch and bake cakes and all kinds of desserts. We adopted our schnauzer, Avery, in March 2020 and since then we love going for walks everyday. He’s such a happy pup and he’s looking forward to being a big brother.
- Location: Houston, TX
- Number of embryos: Genetically Tested Embryos
- Agency: Footsteps to Family
- Surrogate Compensation: Medium
- Must have the Covid vaccine
- Choice to terminate if medically/developmentally necessary
The Biggest Ask Says
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine provides the following recommendations for evaluation of gestational carriers (i.e., many fertility clinics will require the following for their gestational carriers) :
- Carried at least 1 child without complications
- Fewer than 3 deliveries via c-section
- Body mass index in between 19 and 32
- No smoking, abusing drugs, alcohol or prescription medications
- Not receiving welfare, public housing or cash assistance from the government
- Has a stable home life with emotional and child care support
- No mental health conditions requiring the use of medications within the last 6 months (including depression)
- No criminal record
No one likes to talk about surrogate compensation, but it is an important factor in any surrogacy agreement. The following is how we classify high, medium and low compensation (excluding the value of any benefits). Many factors affect surrogate compensation including surrogate experience (e.g., has the woman been a surrogate before?), whether the surrogate is signed up with an agency and surrogate preferences.
- Low = surrogate compensation less than $20,000
- Medium = surrogate compensation between $20,000 and $40,000
- High = surrogate compensation greater than $40,000